Tuesday 31 January 2017

That Word: Standoffish


That Word is the segment on my blog where I post new words that I discover newly or have jumped out at me once again. If you love finding new words this post is for you. If you're a writer looking for different words to describe some this post may also be for you. 

Standoffish

Where I Discovered It?


I discovered this word when I was transferring a piece of writing from a notebook to my computer. Originally I had it written out as two different words in my notebook but then thought as I was typing that maybe it could be one word. I was surprised to find out that it was correct. After double checking the dictionary I immediately thought of adding to my That Word list and sharing it will you all. That shows you how much blogging has become a part of my life. 



Defintion/s

  1. Somewhat aloof or reserved; cold and unfriendly. 

An Example Sentence


To most of the group, Zoltan was an enigma. Standoffish was the only way they knew how to treat him.

My Thoughts 


I don't think that Standoffish is that uncommon a word compared to some of the others on my list. It is a word that can a have a dash in-between and still be correct (stand-offish). It also sounds like it could almost be two words as well. In that way it is unique, but also a common sort of word in the way it could be overused. It has the smell of a word that is familiar.


Have you encountered this word before? Have you used it before? Would you use it? What do you think of Standoffish as a word? 


No comments:

Post a Comment