Saturday 18 February 2017

The Writing Desire Part 1



The desire to write is not a simple thing to explain. As I am sure many writers know. It's an urge that doesn't just tell you to write but orders you to. For me I find that it doesn't matter what you write as long as you write something. Later on you may have a different opinion but in the now all you need to do is write.


While the writing desire is no simple explanation in itself there are times where that desire is inspired by something else. Here is a short list of books that have inspired me in some way to write.


The first book in the Dragons in Our midst series

1. Dragons in Our Midst series by Bryan Davis


This series and the sequel series Oracles of Fire were the books that really brought my passion of writing and stories to life. I was aware I liked writing, but it really made me realise how much I loved stories and wanted to really tell my own. It was the story that also inspired my love for fantasy both reading and writing it.



2. Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen 


Coincidently this is the second book on here that does involve dragons somewhat. I've read this book twice now and I found each time upon reaching the end of it I discover and absolute urge to start writing. The story that is woven is unique and using people from the past to create a fantastical world. This inspires to go forth and work on my own ones.



3. Interrupted: Life Beyond Words by Rachel Coker


I saw this book at my local Christian Bookstore. I wasn't sure if I would buy it, but in the end I did. I am so glad I did. I've read this one twice now and am considering giving it another reread soon. I love the story and it's message, but the one way it has inspired me is with my poetry.



4. Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris 


I've only recently started reading this and I haven't quite finished it but it really has made me realise how much I can be capable of as a teenager. It's made me believe that I could publish my own book in a few short years with a lot of hard work. It's definitely one I would recommend to all those who suffer from the low expectations teenagers generally are given.


Have you recognised the writing urge within yourself? Is there any books that have inspired it in you? What other things inspire you to write? Please feel free to leave a comment. I love hearing your thoughts.





No comments:

Post a Comment