Tuesday 7 February 2017

That Word: Fulcrum



That Word is the segment on my blog where I post new words that I discover newly or have jumped out at me once again. If you love finding new words this post is for you. If you're a writer looking for different words to describe some this post may also be for you. 

Fulcrum


Where I Discovered It?

Mum read this in a comment and I really didn't understand what the word meant at all. When I looked it up I had a much better understanding and one Mum's friends also explained it which added to my understanding of the word. Therein it was added to a list of words. 


Defintion/s

  1. The support or point of rest in which a lever turns in a moving body
  2. any prop or support
  3. Zoology any of various structures in an animal serving as a hinge or support

An Example Sentence 


The fulcrum broke under the pressure against the lever. 

Lisa De Haven was the Fulcrum of their unique group. 

My Thoughts 


I like the way Fulcrum sounds. It has a certain unique ring to it as you say it. I think it's all in the transition from one syllable to the next. Ful-crum. The funny thing was I was watching Iron Man Armored adventures recently and heard Tony Stark say the word when looking for a lever. It was pretty funny because I was in the middle of making this post. As quick as many words are to say, they often contain more complicated meanings. I believe that Fulcrum is one of those words. It could mean any prop or support or it could mean the point of rest in which a leaver turns a moving body. Each word is unique and each use of the word could mean something a little different. Fulcrum is interesting in that way. It could be used in direct use with a lever or maybe it could be used for support in relative to a person. It's up to the writer. It may not be a word I use often, but I think it is one that can be used sneakily. 

Have you come across this word before? Do you agree with me? Would you have a different example sentence to go with it? Do you like the word? Would you use it often or only occasionally? Would you sneakily slip it in somewhere? Feel free to tell me your thoughts on the word, fulcrum. 





No comments:

Post a Comment