Tuesday 13 September 2016

That Word Ethos




This segment of my blog is inspired by Victoria Grace Howell Word definition that we get as part of her weekly Writerly Bundles and by me when I come across words I have a vague sense of the meaning but not a complete sense of the word.


I often come upon words that I either haven't heard of before I can't remember the meaning. These posts are for those words and in hopes of helping others remember the meanings and introduce them to words they may not know.

Our next word is...


Ethos

Where I Found It 


I know I saw this word on a blog somewhere, but evidently I didn't copy the link but still I liked the way it rolled off my tongue where I first read it wherever it was.


Definition/s


  1. Sociology. The fundamental character or spirit of culture; the underlying sentiment that informs the beliefs, customs or practices of a belief or society; dominant assumptions of a people or period.
  2. The character or disposition of a community, group, person, etc.
  3. The moral element in dramatic literature that determines a character’s action rather than his or her thought or emotion.



An Example Sentence


Osmein used to have the ethos of courage and togetherness.


Notes: Osmein is the country of a fantasy world I am currently developing and am stuck in (in my head of course) regularly lately.

My Thoughts

I think when one says the word Ethos that the th sound is quite smooth and the word in all sounds quite airy.

What Do You Think? Do You Like This Word? Would You Use It? 

No comments:

Post a Comment