Tuesday 18 April 2017

That Word: Promontory


That Word is the segment on my blog where I post new words that I discover newly or have jumped out at me once again. If you love finding new words this post is for you or if you're a writer looking for different words to describe something this post may also be for you. I find most of these words using Dictionary.com

Promontory 


Where I Discovered It


This is another word that was found in a list on my phone. There has been a long line of them. 

Definiton/s

  1. a high point of land or rock projecting into the sea or other water beyond the line of coast; headland 
  2. a bluff; or part of a plateau, overlooking a lowland. 
  3. Anatomy. a prominent or protrudent part.  

An Example Sentence


The promontory point out at sea, no longer empty. Amongst all the crashing waves, was a boy. 


My Thoughts


Honestly looking at this word again, I had absolutely no idea what it could mean. Now that I know the meaning I think it would be a really useful word to use in a story. I don't think it's a word I've heard too often, so it may be another of those words that a just a little different to explain something simple or not so simple. Depending on how you look at it. 


What are your thoughts? Have you come across this word before? Did you realise what it meant? Is it a new word for you? Have you used the word before? Would you use it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment